2016 Notice to Members on Handicapping Policies and Procedures
The Handicap Committee within our golf club is responsible for all aspects of the USGA Handicap System. As a Committee, we will verify that all acceptable scores are reported for handicap purposes. All recorded scores will be made readily available for peer review.
The majority of Committee members, including the Handicap Chairperson, consist of members of the Norfolk Golf Club.
Handicap Committee Members: Dana Janis (golf Professional), Brian Kelly (handicap chairman), Lori Beaumont (committee member), Dave O’Leary (committee member), Gerry Linehan (committee member), Steve Dailey (BOG liaison)
The Handicap Committee has set forth the following policies and procedures for all members using the USGA Handicap System:
- Each player will try to make the best score at every hole in every round, regardless of where the round is played.
- Post all acceptable rounds for peer review, including nine-hole scores.
- Scores must be posted as soon as possible including scores in other acceptable locales during our off season.
- Equitable Stroke Control must be applied to all scores for posting purposes.
All acceptable scores must be posted using one of the following methods:
- Posting computer at the golf course. This should be the most used method.
- Or use the GHIN website for away scores.
- If possible a card should be submitted with players last names and attested to by a member of the group.
The Handicap Index of each member of Norfolk Golf Club will be updated on the 1st and 15th of each month. The last revision for MA is on Nov.15th.
A new rules revision for 2016 from the USGA states that scores made while playing alone will no longer be acceptable for handicap purposes; therefore, “NO SCORE IS TO BE POSTED WHEN PLAYING ALONE.”
A player must earn a Handicap Index. No player has an inherent right to a Handicap Index without providing full evidence of ability to our golf club’s handicap committee. The handicap Committee has the ultimate authority and obligation to adjust a Handicap Index if it feels necessary to do so.
The Committee has determined the following events will be posted as Tournament Scores:
- Men’s/Women’s Club Championships (all flights)
- Summer Member-Member
- Qualifier and Finals of the Men’s Four Ball
- Final of the Men’s Pro Cup
- Ladies Spring Member-Member
- Ladies President’s Cup
- Ladies Fall Member-Member
- Ladies Finals of the Four Ball and Pro Cup
Please direct any questions or concerns to Brian Kelly Handicap Chairperson at 781-801-8764 (cell) or NEDANDLIZZIE@msn.com